[Islamsci] Richard Lorch: 1942-2021

Mohammad Bagheri mohammad.bagheri2006 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 08:46:10 EST 2021

Dear colleagues,
On behalf of my colleagues engaged in the history of science in Iran, I
send sincere condolences for Richrd Lorch's passing away. I learned much
from him and appreciated his achievements. We recently published a Persian
translation of Theodosius' *De habitationibus *in our Persian journal *Miras-e
Elmi *(Scientific Heritage, no. 15, Spring & Summer 2019, tr. Mahdieh
Nikhkah), based on its Arabic text edited by Lorch and Paul Kunitzsch. I
also liked very much his work on ibn Salah's treatise about the
stereographic projection where he refers to astronomical observation made
in Maragha before Tusi.
I have very nice memories of being with him during my visit to Munich in
November 2001.
His kindness and modesty were admirable. We will keep his dear memory
shining in our hearts.