[AMS-announce] CFP: Skin-Surface-Circuit: Emboying the Improvisatory, McGill Univ., Montreal, June 2012

Announcements for the AMS ams-announce at list.bowdoin.edu
Fri Jan 6 11:33:11 EST 2012

CFP: Skin­Surface­Circuit: Embodying the Improvisatory

An ICASP-McGill Interdisciplinary Conference June 14-16, 2012, Montreal

What does it mean to say we improvise our bodies, or embody our
improvisations? The theme of this conference addresses the
implications of new research emerging from the humanities, social
sciences, arts and sciences on what counts in general as a body, and
specifically what improvising bodies might be. What is the
relationship of improvisers to their corporeality? Do the social
dimensions of improvisation suggest limitations, or opportunities for
new kinds of improvising agents and networks? What bodily norms do
genres, communities, instruments and technologies either assume, or question?
We invite proposals on these issues, and the host of other questions
they suggest, such as: How do new methods of musical mediation and
new technologies for improvising across times and places question
assumptions of what improvising bodies might be? How are traditional
sites of essentialist thinking about bodies, be they concerning sex,
gender, race, class, culture, ability or other either undermined, or
assumed, by new ways of improvising, and new technologies for
facilitating it? Has the whole notion of a body become redundant, or
do we need a new concept to make sense of emerging modes of music
making and new models of embodied knowledge and community?

The Adaptive Use Musical Instruments group
(http://deeplistening.org/site/adaptiveuse) will be in attendance,
and will conduct a series of events concerning their work.

Proposals should be no longer than 250 words, in either English or
French. Only one proposal may be submitted per person. Please include
name, address, and audiovisual requirements. Submit abstracts
electronically (as .doc or .pdf) to either eric.lewis at mcgill.ca or
lisa.barg at mcgill.ca by Feb. 1. Please also send a c.v. in the same
format. Papers should be of 30 min reading length. We will also
consider non-standard presentations, involving multi-media,
performance, and so on.